Saturday, November 08, 2003

Covered in leather or plaid patches or metal studs. Your hair is dyed or spiked with glue. You only talk to those who look and act the way you do 'cause you think you're cool. Punk. Punk. Punk. Punk by the book.

Anti-Flag: Punk by the Book

Punk is stupid. I will not stop saying this, because it is. After attending the Less Than Jake show on Wednesday I realized how stupid it really is. As I sat there watching Fall Out Boy and the hoard of little girls trying to slam, it hit me in the face. Why the hell were these obvious popular kids playing on stage in a "punk-rock" band? They weren't outcasts, they had no problems with today's society, they had no reason to be on stage. Punk used to be about not fitting in. People were punks because they couldn't fit in anywhere else. Now, that's all changed. I am disgusted with the current state of affairs. I hate trucker hats. Emo sucks. There's no shock anymore. There is no obscenity. What the hell happened? I want another Sex Pistols. I want more Anti-Flag. Rancid sold out, NOFX is for jocks, and the Casualties are for posers. I want a band that has no real musical talent, but has something to say. I want a message that isn't "love hurts." I want a message that gives the big middle finger to mainstream America. I need to go get a copy of MaximumRockNRoll.

That being said, the concert was good. It was funny to watch these little girls try to slam, all they do is jump, and they're all afraid to actually hit someone else, so it doesn't really work. Yellowcard was better; I went crazy during "Sure Shot." The lyrics always send me into a frenzy, they're just so good. "Find some way to make the mean kids pay..." Ah, good stuff. So after my one Yellowcard song I like, I headed back into the back to watch. Finally Less Than Jake came on, and man, was I a madman. They music was awesome. Their set was awesome. I slammed like a crazy and skanked harder. At one point we had a nice skank circle pit going and out of nowhere Manny the Mad Mosher comes in and knocks over some kid. He runs at me and I grab him, turn, and throw him a good five feet. I had no idea I had that kind of strength. Anyway, LTJ were great. They played everything I wanted to hear, even "Dopeman" and "How's my Driving, Doug Hastings?" Man it was great.

I'm so tired. I have bruises all over. I am looking forward to a nice night of movies and sleeping. Ah, this is gonna be good.

Oh, I also got a nice position on the school paper, "the Wick," doing a comic. It is due Friday and I really don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm thinking about attacking those teachers who made Mr. Konrad stop doing his little announcements, lousy fascists. That's about it, later, yos.

-Gil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home